The Continental Building is a 12-story residential building located on the corner of 4th and Spring Streets. The building was built in 1904 by John Parkinson, who was known for designing many of Los Angeles' historic landmark buildings such as the Alexandria Hotel, City Hall, and the University of Southern California. The building originally served as an office space, later housed by many banks as part of the early 20th century attempt to mirror New York's Financial District. Spring Street at the time was commonly referred to as "Financial District West." The Continental has since been redeveloped by Gilmore Associates and converted into 56 loft style apartments in 2001 as part of the Old Bank District residential conversion project.